Sunday, 16 August 2026

Champions League 2026/27 - Referee Appointments for Play-Offs (First Leg, I)

2026-27 UEFA Champions League, Play-Offs, First Legs, games to be played on  18 August 2026.


Tuesday 18 August 2026

21:00 CET - Sofia (Natsionalen Stadion Vasil Levski)
LEVSKI SOFIA (BUL) - AEK (GRE)
Referee:  Glenn Nyberg SWE 
Assistant Referee 1: Mahbod Beigi SWE 
Assistant Referee 2: Andreas Söderkvist SWE
Fourth Official: Adam Ladebäck SWE 
Video Assistant Referee: Dennis Johan Higler NED 
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Erwin Blank NED 
UEFA Referee Observer: Marinus Koopman NED
UEFA Delegate: Irakli Nakaidze GEO

21:00 CET - Zagreb (Maksimir) 
DINAMO ZAGREB (CRO) - VIKING FK (NOR) 
Referee:  Serdar Gözübüyük NED 
Assistant Referee 1: Patrick Inia NED 
Assistant Referee 2: Rogier Honig NED 
Fourth Official: Joey Kooij NED 
Video Assistant Referee: Pol van Boekel NED 
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Richard Martens NED 
UEFA Referee Observer: Markus Nobs SUI 
UEFA Delegate: Peter Elsworth ENG

21:00 CET - Istanbul (Chobani Stadyumu Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Spor Kompleksi)
FENERBAHÇE (TUR) - OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS (FRA)
Referee: Sven Jablonski GER
Assistant Referee 1: Eduard Beitinger GER
Assistant Referee 2: Eric Müller GER 
Fourth Official:  Tobias Reichel GER 
Video Assistant Referee: Christian Dingert GER 
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Pascal Müller GER 
UEFA Referee Observer: Michael Riley ENG 
UEFA Delegate: Iva Olivari-Uliša CRO

31 comments:

  1. I never expected Sven Jablonski as a possibility. It's a much tougher match for him than the 4 Champions League matches he has officiated in his career. I hope he handles the pressure. And that means Jablonski is UEFA's new favorite. We're going to be seeing a lot more of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say from experiences in the Bundesliga that he fits perfect for big matches and he definitely knows how to handle this pressure. But we will see. He doesn’t have that much international big tests

      Delete
    2. I admit I was surprised by Jablonski's appointment. I had actually expected Nyberg to referee the match in Istanbul, or perhaps Eskas, Hdz Hdz, Pinheiro, or Massa.

      Delete
  2. It's a good game for Sven. If he passes this test smoothly, his career will take off even faster. I really like him, but I'm not a fan of his body language on the pitch. He is way too soft on the players; I want to see him look stern and take a firm stand. Sven is always smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How dare a referee smile…

      Delete
    2. bally99 ! If you watch the matches of Turpin, Marciniak, Vincic, Taylor, Oliver, Zwayer, Kovacs, and Letexier, you will understand the difference in their presence on the pitch. Of course, a referee should smile, but Sven is too good-natured, and that allows players to easily manipulate him. I just wanted to explain this

      Delete
  3. That's wrong. Jablonski is definitely not too good-natured and is not easily manipulated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truly excellent assignment for Jablonski. He appears to have the commission's trust and is under its constant observation, with the potential for future development.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful assignment for Jablonski, yet at the same time a very tough match. I wish him the best of luck... the commission really trusts him

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew Dallas, who was the VAR official in yesterday's Fenerbahçe match, has now been assigned to today's Beşiktaş - Eyup match.

    During yesterday's match, Dallas failed to award Fenerbahçe two clear penalties, igniting major controversy after the final whistle.
    Appointing Dallas to another critical match immediately the next day triggered severe backlash and outrage from the Fenerbahçe side.
    Former Turkish FIFA referees and football commentators are criticizing both yesterday's refereeing decisions and the Turkish Football Federation's (TFF) controversial appointment choice.
    This situation indicates that a major new test has begun for the federation and Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. + Andrew’s Father Hugh Dallas has a direct, long-standing institutional connection to Turkish football. He served as a Referee Development Consultant for the Turkish Football Federation from 2022 to 2025.

      Delete
    2. I give Anthony Taylor 6 months. He'll probably leave Turkey in 6 months with those gorgeous new hair implants..

      Delete
    3. Yeah but that's the problem with using foreign VARs. He had obviously been promised two games, and it's not that easy to just find another one that can jump in on such short notice, unless you use a local

      Delete
  7. Great appointment for the German referee, clearly favored by the committee. It will be a good test to see what he can aim for during the season, and we will also see later what season his compatriot Zwayer will have after a completely negative previous one; as for the rest of the appointments, Gözübüyük and Nyberg are standard choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jablonski was awful in an england friendly game before the wc, lets hope hes improved as this is a massive appointment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was awful. Can Jablonski handle this match in Istanbul's high-pressure atmosphere? Honestly, I have my doubts.. It's going to be a tough environment for him

      Delete
  9. Excellent simulation detected by barrott in the community shield at 38!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what I am seeing from Barrott

      Delete
    2. https://x.com/baysesports/status/2089008944668623001?s=46

      What are you liking about this tackle? Nothing given. VAR sleeping or is this the e new approach to leave clear missed incodents on the pitch?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, more red than yellow.
      Other than this, faultless and great Barrott overall.

      Delete
    4. My comment was before that tackle.. that could clearly have been a rc.. other than that very good by barrott

      Delete
  10. About head injuries and the 'one-minute penalty' (I call it that on purpose). To be honest, it seems like a rather poor combination.

    I watched Feyenoord - Go Ahead today. Feyenoord’s Watanabe was struck in the face by an opponent’s arm and crumpled to the ground for a moment. Referee Joey Kooij immediately stopped play, but Feyenoord’s trainer Van Bronckhorst did not send medical staff onto the field to avoid a time penalty. Watanabe also got up straight away and insisted he was fine. However, in accordance with the rules, he was sent off for one minute.

    For several years now, referees have been stopping matches at the slightest hint of a potential head injury, without taking any risks. However, under this rule, coaches naturally won’t take the risk of receiving a one-minute penalty. It seems that there is an illogical contradiction in what is being asked for overall.

    This rule was designed to foster a so-called "macho culture," and I wouldn't deny that it functions very well in that regard. However, it seems to me that—for the sake of everyone involved—decisions regarding head injuries should be made more strictly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, it makes sense to give someone with a head injury a minute to recover and to be checked. In this case, it should not be seen as punishment, but as protection for the players.

      Delete
  11. Very interesting situation for Sesma Espinosa, who didn’t whistle a DOGSO claimed by Racing Santander. Very tight call early in the second half. I will try to find a video

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrew Dallas, the controversial VAR referee from yesterday's match in the Turkish league, is back on duty tonight. Deliberately pulling hair should have been a red card!

    https://x.com/golkoliktvv/status/2089061328614728175?s=46

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough one, given I'm not sure if everywhere referees it the same way at the moment, and it may take some time to settle on what reaches what threshold. I can't comment on the local expectation, but can also see why a VAR might see that as YC only

      Delete
    2. Martinez and Neves saw red last year despite milder hair-pulling incidents... this is a clear red card.

      Delete
    3. Again, can't speak for anywhere else, but England has had a clear change in how hairpulls are officiated this year. I don't know if this has happened anywhere else however

      Delete
  13. Red card by Pignard in French Super Cup
    https://streamin.link/v/cdaa3733

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing a comment on our blog!