Thursday 9 July 2020

Bundesliga: Round 34 Review

A bit later than planned, find our review of the final round of Bundesliga matches, in co-operation with the BuliSchiri blog.


Deniz Aytekin was in charge of a crucial game.

We start with the two crucial games in the race to avoid direct relegation, in the hands of two UEFA Second Category referees:


Harm Osmers in Union Berlin - Fortuna Düsseldorf [VAR: Tobias Welz]

Overall: Referee was in the media's eye before a whistle was blown; Osmers was born in Bremen, with whom Fortuna Düsseldorf were fighting to avoid relegation with. All things considered, referee performed well (correct to allow the 2-0 goal), even if technically his performance had some faults.


Bastian Dankert in Werder Bremen - 1.FC Köln [VAR: Daniel Schlager]

Overall: Good performance in this crucial game, especially with regards to disciplinary control.

In the race in to qualify for the UEFA Champions League, Deniz Aytekin (Borussia Mönchengladbach - Hertha BSC) and Benjamin Cortus (Bayer Leverkusen - FSV Mainz) handled the games well. VAR Tobias Stieler was correct to intervene to disallow a goal in the second half in Cortus' match, for a prior clear foul.


Now, three interesting situations from the other games:

Guido Winkmann in Borussia Dortmund - TSG Hoffenheim [VAR: Daniel Siebert]

49' Penalty given (charging)



Philipp: Clearly incorrect decision from Guido Winkmann, VAR Daniel Siebert should have intervened.

Mikael: I am not so sure this decision is incorrect, given that you could argue the attacker had won the position and was charge by the worse placed defender. One could also argue it was a normal duel for the ball and it was just co-incidental that the attacker ended up floored.


Felix Brych in FC Augsburg - RB Leipzig [VAR: Robert Kampka]

57' Red Card (DOGSO) given, revoked after an On-Field Review.


-> Correct intervention, which should have been quicker (Mikael: I would add, an understandable perception mistake by Brych, who just saw the trip and consequent natural fall, but not the ball being played; good use of VAR!)


Patrick Ittrich in VfL Wolfsburg - Bayern München [VAR: Sören Storks]

42' Foul (handling)? Not given, no VAR intervention. If so, sanction?


Philipp: Clear mistake, VAR should intervene and the goalkeeper should be ejected (DOGSO).

Mikael: I agree with Philipp, but this a tough scene to evaluate simply because of how rare it is - no outfield player would jump for the ball as the goalkeeper did, so it is tricky to decide whether the handling should be punished in the LotG. In the end, I think it should, but it's not the most obvious handling (or DOGSO) either in my view.


Besides a small handful of other relevant situations (Philipp mentions a possible missed penalty in Freiberg and too much of a pedantic performance by Martin Petersen), referees weren't challenged in their final games of the season - good end to the season for the three above, in addition to the returning Benjamin Brand.


Finally, dispatches from three of the crucial games on the final day of the 2.Bundesliga season:


Frank Willenborg had an overall good game in the Hamburger SV - SV Sandhausen game - he awarded two penalties (at 59' and 84'), the latter of which after Daniel Schlager called him to review.

Manuel Gräfe faced quite an easy game in Arminia Bielefeld - 1.FC Heidenheim, in addition to a potential missed penalty [VAR: Robert Hartmann] after a wrongly given offside at 14' (analogous in nature to the Ajax Amsterdam - Chelsea FC situation earlier this season). Gräfe faired well in a one-sided match.

Marco Fritz had no bigger problems in the Greuther Fürth - Karlsruher SC game, but with his VAR Martin Thomsen faced a very interesting and crucial situation for the season's outcome, clip below:


60' Penalty given (tripping)


Philipp: The initial contact is outside and a foul. It is difficult to say whether there is another decisive contact inside the penalty area. I can't see anything and therefore think, the penalty is wrong. Maybe difficult for the VAR to be sure, but (also regarding the importance) an OFR might have been a good idea.

Mikael: Replay suggests there was a further contact inside the penalty area which felled the attacker, in such case VAR was correct to support the on-field call.


Our thanks to Philipp for making these posts possible (despite the season's end, we hope it is not the last)!

2 comments:

  1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Finally Got Helped !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out.. I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number +2347012841542 Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing a comment on our blog!