Monday 24 August 2020

In Focus: Daniele Orsato's performance in Paris - Bayern

A closer look at the UEFA Champions League Final 2020 Paris Saint-Germain - Bayern München refereed by Daniele Orsato (VAR: Massimiliano Irrati).



Let's start with three tricky in-box situations that Orsato had to face:


Key Match Incidents


+46' - Penalty to Bayern?



-> Analysis of this situation is best partitioned into two halves:

UEFA niveau: There is no clearly visible contact at the feet, and the upper body contact is too trifling to punish. Play on.

Law 5 (Mikael): Having extensively studied the replays, my view is that Coman was actually tripped by Kehrer - the Paris player's right heel hits the attacker's right foot, causing him to stumble a bit, and then the otherwise trifling push was actually enough to cause Coman to fall.

Ergo: It was only fitting that a UEFA Club Competition restart that on an officiating level was quite defined by accidental tripping fouls got one in it's Champions League Final. For fouls like that, which as elite football becomes more dynamic by the year will become more-and-more common, refereeing has two potential solutions: 1) en bloc instruct referees not to punish very-hard-to-see contacts; 2) en blec instruct referees to punish contacts like that and very proactively explain calls like that in the media. In the current era of refereeing where referees are to be in the background as far as possible, it's axiomatic the former path will be chosen.

Despite my theoretical solution, absolutely no criticism for Orsato at all - only a fool after everything that happened would give a penalty there, well seen by the referee from Italy. I would staunchly defend a penalty call, too.



73' Penalty to Paris?


-> Certainly the most controversial of the decisions that Daniele Orsato had to take in the Champions League Final.

At first, Orsato quite brilliantly managed to keep up with a very quick Paris counter-attack, he is only a short distance away from the in-box situation. But, despite that, his insight angle in the event is not very good - already having look through a player, Orsato would have been better served having been in the square on the pitch to his adjacent left of where he was. Understandably then, given the travel of the ball after the contact, Orsato on an expectation-perception-recognition level 'sees' the ball played and very clearly gestures as such.

The question then - is this misperception enough for VAR Massimiliano Irrati to intervene and call the referee to an On-Field Review? In UEFA's view - surely not. Mbappé's fall is unnatural and manufactured. More than that perhaps, Mbappé actually takes a poor touch and allows Kimmich the chance to play the ball. Mbappé surely does not play to get fouled but he does move the way he does to ensure that Kimmich cannot get to the ball and probably - though I'm sure I will be told otherwise (!) - Mbappé could not really do much with the ball there, having taken that prior touch. So, for what it's worth, I agree with Irrati too - very good non-intervention in my eyes.

By the way, I am quite sure that football expects this to be called as a penalty - Mbappé is clearly kicked in the penalty area.



+91' - Penalty to Bayern?



-> For my taste, quite clearly play on is the better decision here - through good play Kehrer wins the position, ahead of Lewandowski in the race for the ball, and then there is a normal footballing contact. Orsato was correct here not to award a penalty.


Approach


Daniele Orsato did not offer a typically modern piece of refereeing, but in my view can be satisfied with how he refereed the Champions League Final, as especially in the second half he faced a really challenging match.

On a tactical level, I noted one 'big' mistake that Orsato made - he did not appreciate, or at least was happy to take a risk on, the tactical importance of the collision initiated by Goretzka on Neymar, after the Brazilian had got away from his opponent at a throw-in. Referee clocked it, saw that there was little player reaction, and was satisfied by not intervening with his presence. That was at 50', and then the mass confrontation was at 51' - it is criticism on a high level, but by intervening in that trivial scene, Orsato would have prevented the conflicted minutes that followed it. Also, as a general rule - any scene, however little, involving Neymar always poses a potential threat to your control of the match as referee!

Sure, there were a small handful of perception mistakes, such as the very clear missed corner in the first half or not booking Lewandowski for his accidental reckless stamp at 64', but on the whole Orsato did well. Actually - his caution to Süle was quite excellent in my view, the referee from Italy sensing the tactical value of evaluating the foul, credibly, as a reckless one.


Conclusion


Not perfect, but a good job nonetheless by Daniele Orsato; he showed that he was a good choice to handle the biggest game in European football.

A special mention to Orsato's assistant referee Lorenzo Manganelli, who lost his father in the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, and honoured him with a touching tribute during the medal ceremony. A stirringly pertinent moment for all who have suffered in these times, and a reminder that sport can be a beacon of hope where before there was none.

Congratulations to all of the officials who handled the UEFA Champions League Final 2020!

Referee: Daniele Orsato (ITA)
Assistant Referee 1: Lorenzo Manganelli (ITA)
Assistant Referee 2: Alessandro Giallatini (ITA)
Fourth Official: Ovidiu Alin Hațegan (ROU)
Video Assistant Referee: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Marco Guida (ITA)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Alejandro Hernández Hernández (ESP) 
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Roberto Díaz Pérez Del Palomar (ESP)
UEFA Referee Observer: Vladimir Šajn (SVN)
UEFA Delegate: Kris Bellon (BEL)
UEFA Referee Liaison Officer: Mauro Quaresma (POR)
UEFA Referee Liaison Officer: Fábio José Costa Veríssimo (POR)

Your assessment about Orsato performance in Champions League Final PSG- Bayern?
Excellent performance.
Very good performance. Important decisions correctly taken.
Good, expected level.
Satisfactory with small areas for improvement.
Satisfactory with important areas for improvement.
One clear and important mistake, otherwise expected level or above.
One clear and important mistake, otherwise satisfactory.
Below expectations, poor control, significant points for improvement.
Disappointing. Below expectation with one and clear important mistake or a performance with two or more clear and important mistakes.
Unacceptable performance.
Created with PollMaker

26 comments:

  1. My opinion on 73': I don't think that is a poor touch by Mbappe, but that this only happens after Kimmich kicks him. The foot contact happens after the first, but before the second ball contact and Kimmich kicks Mbappe's foot against the ball, which then flys away. This is an important argument for the penalty here - the action probably dispossessed the opponent.
    Clear and obvious? No, as there are other opinions, e.g. yours
    7,9 mistake? Not sure, because it was really hard to see and only solvable in slow-motion. On the other hand, a very important match situation
    OFR required? Yes, as it was a missed incident and the evidence for a mistake was high enough. As a minor argument, the importance of the decision should also favour, that the referee takes it himself.

    Regarding the other two penalty situations, I agree. In 90' only, because Kehrer manages a minimal ball contact, which in this case jusitfies the following tripping - otherwise this would be quite critical for me.

    In general, I quite liked Orsato's approach to simply referee, what was in front of him in a consistent and predictable manner - not faultless though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your detailed comment.

      To clarify - I'm not calling Mbappé's supposed touch when Kimmich kicks through him, but the one before that, where Kimmich is in a better position than Mbappé to kick the ball - his attempt to do that hits Mbappé. I hope I explained that okay :)

      I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the arguing though - besides anything else, Mbappé is kicked in the penalty area. Are we making refereeing more complicated than we need to be?

      Delete
    2. OK, understood it better now - but still think, that without Kimmich's action he could have turned and shot from a good position.

      And yes, the kicking itself should at least justify a penalty decision in any case.
      Once, the penalty is not given, we start to search for arguments, why this can be supported. That's complicating - but apparently the top referees do the same. Although one must not forget, that it's also often a perception question - the referee only sees it from one angle and at full speed. So sometimes, when we search for complicated explanations, it might be simply a wrong perception.

      Delete
    3. I fully agree with Philipp S. I believe that there had to be communication with VAR room and, if Orsato said that Kimmich kicked the ball, mandatory OFR.

      If then he decided that it is not enough to whistle, he can be supported given the circumstances. However, this should never be an example for "no penalty", it is a borderline situation which depends highly on the referee's perception, but with default decision - penalty.

      Delete
    4. Disagreed, nothing mandatory with regard to VAR. We have seen many, many matches with VAR in UEFA’s competitions so far and the concept of ‘missed incidents’ as Philipp often mentions is simply not adopted in that way by UEFA. How many situations in UEFA competitions do we remember in which OFR’s were advised for ‘missed incidents’ without clear and obvious errors by the referees? In UEFA misperception doesn’t lead to an OFR when no clear and obvious error has happened.

      Delete
    5. OK, there is some difference between theory and practice, I agree. About "UEFA does it that way" type of argument... I dont agree completely, but even more important, I expressed my stance and according to it, mandatory OFR was necesarry. Whether someone in UEFA will disagree is not what I wanted to guess.


      Here is partly what made me think that way:

      A conceptual problem with VAR is that if it is really used like in the finals, then its influence is really minimal and I am not sure it justifies expenses.
      With top-class referees, you would not have huge flaws in technical actions. Furthermore, if you really intervene only in extreme situations, then IMO you dont have a balance with offside and encroachment decisions.

      And finally, there is a problem with consistency which becomes deeper and deeper, between national leagues and between national leagues and international competitions, which can cause a lot of confusion.

      Delete
    6. Consistency will always be problematic. Even if we leave VAR our, let’t take the example of handballs. In Italy handballs are assessed very differently from for example Germany, or actually other European countries. So it’s utopic to think there will ever be consistency among nations, confederations etc.

      Then of course you can have your opinion on the missed incident concept. Though I don’t agree I didn’t want to deny you your opinion. I just wanted to make clear that in UEFA the ‘missed incident’ concept is simply not used in that same detailed way as you and Philipp described.

      Delete
    7. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. Why are we even teying to find negative points in his performance. Biggest game of the year do we really want soft penalty??? No u need a penalty that could be seen from the moon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a blog, I think we can be quite complimented by comments like this :)

      Delete
    2. Because we want a full picture and not only the positive points.

      No, we don't want soft penalty in finals, but ideally consistency with the rest of the competition. And no decisions, where most of the spectators and most of the referee experts think, that it's wrong.

      Delete
    3. Then your last sentence Philipp doesn’t refer to the penalty situation discussed here. If so I would really like to know what you’re statement is based on. There’s hardly any talk of this situation among football spectators and please share you sources of most referee experts considering this a wrong decision?

      Delete
    4. Would you Mikael care to elaborate on your reaction towards Bogdan? Unless I misunderstand I sense a haughty, derogatory tone towards Bogdan, who just shares the opinion that penalties should be very clear in highly important matches like these. And he’s not the only one having this opinion for that matter.

      Delete
    5. @Anonymous: My last sentence was indeed a general statement, not specifically referrring to this CL final.

      For the situation, it is only my assumption, that it would be the case, but yes, I can't prove that In the media coverage in Germany it was mostly stated, that Bayern was lucky in that situation. If it wasn't made a bigger topic especially, I find that surprising. And I assume (and hope), that at least 9 out of 10 referees would decide penalty, when they are shown the pictures.
      But that all is indeed only my opinion/assessmen and you are free to disagree.

      Delete
  3. UEFA SUPERCUP
    My Predictions:

    Cakir (TUR)
    Sidiropoulos (GRE)
    Del Cerro Grande (ESP)
    Soares Dias (POR)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turpin or Hategan for me.

      Unless Ceferin decides to get political again and this time we see Monzul or Staubli...

      Delete
    2. Good performance from Orsato. For me perhaps first situation is penalty but other no calls correct. Yellow cards and game management for most part acceptable. Nobody will be really talking about the ref after this game so all in all Orsato can be happy about his year and a good way to surely end his career as I assume he retires this year or next.

      Delete
    3. The Supercup will be played in Budapest, which is best positioned, taking into account current travel restrictions, for Hategan of Romania. Also, isn't it a tradition to give the Supercup to the fourth official from the UCL or UEL final?

      Delete
    4. It will be between Hategan and Sidiropoulos.

      Delete
    5. That was the case in 2017 and 2018, but not in the previous years - so hardly a tradition, I think.

      Delete
    6. All traditions have a starting point. I would be very surprised if the Supercup will to go to someone else than Hategan or Sidiropoulos.

      Delete
  4. Men’s Community Shield supported by McDonald’s:

    Saturday 29th @6.30pm
    Arsenal v Liverpool

    Referee: Andre Marriner (Birmingham)
    Assistant referees: Mark Scholes (Berks and Bucks) and Marc Perry (Birmingham)
    Fourth official: Andrew Madley (W.Riding)
    Reserve assistant referee: Dan Robathan (Norfolk)
    VAR: David Coote (Nottinghamshire)
    AVAR: Dan Cook (Hampshire)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Finally Got Helped !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out.. I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number +2347012841542 Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Chief Dr Lucky, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 

    Visit website : https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/
    What's App number : +2348132777335 
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing a comment on our blog!