Wednesday 26 August 2020

Who will officiate 2020 UEFA Super Cup? Analysis and prediction

In a month, UEFA Super Cup will be played at Puskás Aréna in Budapest. Game will involve Champions League winner, Bayern München, and the Spanish side of Sevilla FC, after the success in Europa League. 


This will be the first official trophy of 2020-21 season and hopefully, according to last reports, UEFA will make all efforts to allow at least a certain mumber of spectators for this game. A further step ahead, wating for a full return to normality.  But let's focus on the prediction... 

One year ago it was definitely surprising for us to read Stéphanie Frappart's name, as referee in charge of this game, a very particular decision by committee. Assuming that everything is always possible, in case of a similar appointment, it would be impossible to make a prediction. However, I think that this time a male Elite referee will be appointed, as it was in previous seasons, before 2019.

So let's focus on the full list of Elite referees. As first step, we can surely rule out referees from the same nationality of teams, so Carlos del Cerro, Antonio Mateu, Jesús Gil, Manzano, Felix Brych, Deniz Ayekin and Feliz Zwayer will not be there.

So now, we can guess that the referees who already got this game will not be appointed again, given also that there are several valid options for committee. At the same time let's also rule out the names who officiated a final at the end of this very particular season. So: Daniele Orsato, Bjorn Kuipers, Danny Makkelie, Szymon Marciniak, William Collum and Damir Skomina.

Among the remaning names, I would exclude the Elite referees who don't seem likely to handle this game, due to the need of further experience, mostly because Elite since a too short time, they are: Alexey Kulbakov, Orel Grinfeeld, Istvan Kovacs, Ivan Kruzliak, Slavko Vincic.

The next cut is about performances and consideration by committee, this field starts to be more subjective than previous selections, so you may also disagree with me. I would eliminate: Pavel Kralovec, Anastasios Sidiropoulos, Artur Dias, Benoit Bastien. In my opinion it would be very surprising to see one of them in the middle for this game.

The remaning names are: Michael Oliver, Anthony Taylor, Clément Turpin, Ovidiu Hategan, Sergei Karasev and Cuneyt Çakır. 

We could start with the Russian: since he was not among the referees appointed for the recent KO stage after the lockdown, it is quite unlikely to see him directly in this game. However, the Russian was reported by some sources as selected officials for EURO 2020 (names were not revealed by UEFA) so for sure his appointment, in case, wouldn't be really surprising. He is Elite by a quite long time, however he never reached a real pinnacle, and I really would like to see him back as the old Karasev, but a very long time has passed.  

I talked about Cüneyt Çakır in a very negative way in recent times, we should admit that his last performance in Barcelona was not good, however regarding a possible appointment for this game, I wouldn't have problems in that. It is very particular that a so experienced and long-time FIFA referee never got more than "only one" final. In case, it would be deserved not for the recent performances, but as long-career reward, and he stays as candidate.

Regarding both English officials, at moment we can clearly see that Taylor is ahead in terms of consideration by committee, and in case of an English appointment for this game, one should think to Taylor rather than Oliver without doubts. The former indeed stays as candidate for this match. For the latter, time will come.

A very long speech could be made about Clément Turpin, who, to be honest, would be even the first candidate for this game, but in this regard an obvious mention must be done again for Frappart's appointment one year ago, with Turpin, appointed as VAR for the English derby between Chelsea and Liverpool in 2019 edition. Unluckily for Turpin, this assignment makes very unlikely that committee could select again him for this game for the second year in a row. However, in case he will get it, this will be absolutely deserved and nothing to say. Being kept for something more would be however a good thing for French, because at moment (August 2020) he is the first strong candidate for the two major finals at the end of 2020-21 season. In any case, he shouldn't be worried. 

The last chapter of this analysis is finally dedicated to my prediction: I think that at moment, a strong candidate without any particular issue for this game, is Ovidiu Hategan without doubts. Despite of several good performances shown, he didn't manage to get deserved games in the last stages of Champions League. Maybe a reason behind that is the fact that committee had already in mind to appoint him for a Super Cup. Such an assignment, once made, would be a very good achievement and without doubts a great  step for the future. I think that committee has a quite different consideration about Super Cup, than Champions and Europa League finals. This speech wouldn't be something against Hategan, but just to highlight that he can be for sure the right name, waiting for more sonorous achievements in future.

So my final prediction is team Hategan, with maybe Italian VARs, as Hategan works with them, but in this case a different option could be possible given that there were already Italian VARs at Champions League final.

And you? What is your prediction about Super Cup? Just write a comment and let us know. 

27 comments:

  1. My prediction is
    Taylor, Beswick, Nunn, Oliver - Attwell, Tierney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. As usual very very interesting and great analysis, so complete that I can't add anything more...….. :-)
    Anyway In my opinion the real candidates are only 3, mainly for the reason above shared by Chefren: Turpin, Hategan and Taylor.
    I would rule out Turpin for the attendance of Frappart last year, avoiding two following French referees; according to the latest appointment done at the end of the season I think that Committee will assign a full english team:
    TAYLOR as main referee, Oliver as 4th, Kavanagh and Pawson as VARs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know why anybody predict Taylor. Ok, he was more than good in CL and El. But, Fa Cup final was disaster. He can find his chances in next season. Not in way of Super Cup, but in CL final or El final. I wrote on some of this posts, I predict Hategan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose Taylor, because he and Turpin are the only top performers of the last CL season, who didn't get their reward already (in form of a semifinal as referee or a final as referee or 4th official). And Turpin is less likely because of Frappart.

      Delete
    2. @Ref Fot
      What has the FA CUP Final got to do with the UEFA appointment?

      Delete
    3. No,no. Full of respect for you and your opinion. I just would like to said that Anthony have to wait next season with some of finals. Every bad performance anywhere can cost you. So, I will agree with this topic and said that Hategan deserve to have Supercup. Cheers!!!

      Delete
    4. Ok much clearer now
      Thanks

      Delete
  4. Swiss Cup FINAL
    Wankdorf Stadium, Bern
    FC Basel - Young Boys Bern
    Sunday 30 August 17.30

    Referee: Sandro Schärer
    AR1: Bekim Zogaj
    AR2: Christoph Chaillet
    FO: Lionel Tschudi
    AR Replacement: Jonas Erni
    VAR: Fedayi San
    AVAR: Stéphane De Almeida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chefren, you have reasoned correctly in the exclusions. There remain the 4 referees that you mentioned, I would give it to Turpin or Oliver but I believe that the Commission will decide for Hategan.
    But sooner or later Turpin will have to be appointed for something, he can't keep on looking at others and then damage Clement could be the PSG that seems to me to have found the right way

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very difficult one to predict!!
    I absolutely think it is a real possibility that all 4 names of Cakir, Hategan, Taylor or Oliver are in with a shout. I just can't see 2 French referees in consecutive years get this appointment, but who knows. As Cakir hasn't received this appointment before, then in my eyes he could well be the number 1 logical choice and to be fair for UEFA a relatively safe pair of hands. But as pointed out earlier, UEFA may not go on experience but on current performance then the tide could turn in Hategan's favour with Cakir as 4th. Of course anything is possible and I would not be surprised to the English officials appointed either

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you exclude 4th officials from the CL / EL final and Turpin because of his involvement last year, shouldn't you also exclude Cakir, since he was 4th official in the Supercup last year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Felix Brych and his team will officiate the Greek cup final on 30/8 between AEK Athens and Olympiacos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assistants Mark Borsch and Stefan Lupp
      FO Daniel Schlager
      VAR Tobias Reichel
      AVAR Chrysoula Kourompilia

      Delete
  9. I strongly hope that Turpin will finally have something big next season. He is one of the best performers in both UCL and UEL in the last seasons, and has still not been appointed for something more than a CL QF. He cannot be "kept for the future" any longer.

    BTW, French officials have been rewarded with only 1 big match in the last 20 years : Frappart last year. It is time for the committee to reward Turpin for his great development since Euro 2016 and his level of performance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If UEFA appointed two Romanian referees to two consecutive matches of France played within 3 days, why would the same UEFA not appoint two French referees to the Supercup within a year?

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me Clement Turpin and Ovidiu Hategan are the strongest candidates for 2020 Supercup.

    Clement Turpin should finally rewarded for his very good European matches in recent years. As @WCReferee said he can't be kept for the future.

    Ovidiu Hategan is IMO a strong candidate too because recent performances were good and his long career in FIFA and UEFA should be rewarded.But as Chefren said in a previous post his assistants make too many mistakes.

    Cüneyt Çakir no candidate IMO due to recent performances.I can not imagine that he will be in charge.

    Anthony Taylor is IMO no option. He had very good games in last UCL campaign but he has only 16! UCL games and get directly Super Cup.Yes, he is very experienced in England but I think it would be very unfair to appoint a men with 16 UCL matches and e.g. Hategan (since 2008 FIFA List!) and Turpin (EURO 2016,WC 2018) not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at last year's Supercup appointment, fairness does not play a role at all

      Delete
  12. OT

    Tasos Sidiropoulos will handle the 2nd PO match for a place at Greek SL.

    The first leg was handled by Tasos Papapetrou yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Officially confirmed by the Romanian FA: https://www.frf.ro/recomandate/kovacs-si-hategan-arbitreaza-campioana-mondiala/
    Kovacs will referee Sweden-France on September 5 and Hategan will referee France-Croatia on September 8! Did UEFA ever appointed referees from the same country (i.e. Romania) to consecutive matches of the same country (i.e. France) played WITHIN ONLY 3 DAYS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unusual indeed.
      Would have been more logical to appoint Hategan in Portugal-Croatia or Kovacs in Sweden-Portugal then.
      I wonder, whether it's due to some COVID complications, a case of negligence or a new policy.

      Delete
    2. So the appointments are already decided. Someone has full info?

      Delete
    3. It seems as Romanian federation was the only one to reveal them. No further info. As I expect, three days before the respective games, names will be published by UEFA.

      Delete
    4. It is indeed a very unusual situation. Chefren, Mikael W & Co, are you aware of any such appointments of referees from the same country in such a short time to the same team in the last 20 years? I have never seen anything like this in official competitions and I wonder whether it is due to Covid or just an incredible negligence by UEFA?

      Delete
  14. Monzul. Why not? The best referee in Ukraine and she is in very good conditions. At last, maybe as 4-th official

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Finally Got Helped !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out.. I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number +2347012841542 Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Chief Dr Lucky, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 

    Visit website : https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/
    What's App number : +2348132777335 
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing a comment on our blog!